Session 2: Slow breathing
This video will help you practise slow breathing, which aims to help you take fewer breaths a minute. This means you are less likely to over-breathe, and take in too much air.
Before you start, some people like to use a clock or timer to count their breathing, others prefer without.
- Lie down in a comfortable place. You may want to place 1 or 2 pillows behind your head and loosen any tight clothing.
- Close your mouth and breathe through your nose.
- Relax your shoulders and chest.
- Now practise the stomach breathing.
- Try to slow down your breathing. It can help to count in your head with your breathing, e.g. breath in for a slow count of 2 and out for a slow count of 3.
- Now, slow your breathing down more – put a short pause after you have fully breathed out, before you take the next breath. Breathe in for a count of 2, then pause for 2 or 3. Don’t pause so long you feel faint though!
When you're comfortable with slow breathing, click below to unlock the next session - controlled breath holding.